Yes, yes – I STILL have an advent calendar every year. And every year, like the one before, is always the last. But it never really is; I can literally never resist – it’s like some form of Christmas OCD, where I worry that if I don’t have one…well, it might not actually be Christmas or something crazy. And I’m not even sorry – I like chocolate AND I like organisation, therefore organised chocolate eating is right up my street.
On top of this insane need to eat chocolate in numerical order (because that’s all it really is), I also have the urge to ‘outdo’ the previous years’ calendar each December. And when I found the Lindt beauty I’m currently chomping my way through I gave myself a mental pat on the back. This year was going to be hard to beat. Until, that is, 3 days before advent was due to start I went online and casually found something much, MUCH better. This year, I think I’ve found the advent calendar to top ALL advent calendars. It’s better than chocolate. It’s better than organised chocolate – in fact, it’s so good that if it were a man, I’d marry it (sorry Mr. B). I have no idea how I’ll even top this one next year…
The You Beauty Advent Calendar is literally the best thing I’ve ever seen. For £49.95 you get £240 worth of sample sized beauty treats – one to try each day in the run up to Christmas, as well as various discount codes which you can use when purchasing full sized versions of some of the samples if you like them enough (which you will, obviously).
The only snag? You have to sign up to become a You Beauty member – the privilege for which will cost you £6.95 RIGHT AWAY. And then again every single month, until you figure out how the hell to cancel it. Which I probably won’t, because for that price, each month I get to choose 2 sample sized beauty treats to be sent to my door. And the price is inclusive of P&P (the part that totally won me over. I’m such a sucker).
So here’s what I got from days 1-5:
1. Sisley Masque Creme a la Rose Noir: A brand I’ve heard of but never tried, this Sisley face mask was the first treat out of the box. I’ve yet to use this, but as it promises magical things such as relieving the look of tiredness I will be smothering it on my face as much as humanly possible in the run up to Christmas.
2. Caudalie Limited Edition Hand & Nail Cream: I LOVE Caudalie. I was a bit late to the party with this brand, having only been introduced to it properly in the last couple of years, but I can honestly say it’s one of my all-time favourites. It is on the pricey side, but any money you spend on a Caudalie product is money well spent in my opinion, so obviously I was delighted when this limited edition hand cream (in grapevine honey) came out of window number 2. A generously sized sample, this, as you can see, has already had a fair bit of use, and I will continue to squeeze every drop out of it (and then cry when it’s gone).
3. Espa Optimum Skin Proserum & Refining Skin Polish: I’m not going to lie, this is probably my least favourite so far. I have a love/hate relationship with face oils – being naturally oily skinned, they can be a minefield and most that don’t cost an absolute fortune rarely ever work (for me, anyway). Suffice to say, I haven’t tried these yet so I may be proved wrong, but what with a few parties coming up in the next 2 weeks, and a wedding at the end of December, I’m slightly skeptical about upsetting the balance of my skin by messing with oils right now. These will be saved for January, when, if I like them enough, I might use the £15 gift voucher that came in the box with them to purchase some more.
4. Leighton Denny nail varnish in Vamp: My excitement for this was on par with the Caudalie – Leighton Denny is a brand I’ve always wanted to try, but one I’ve just never got around to buying. This is THE perfect shade of rouge noir, and if it holds up well on my nails over Christmas I’ll definitely be repurchasing in the new year.
5. Balance Me Super Toning Body Wash: A slightly strange inclusion, but it does promise to tone the skin with regular use so what the hell – we all need shower gel, right?! This smells lovely and is a really generously sized sample which I’ll definitely use. Just not as exciting as the rest!
So far, I’m really impressed with the selection of treats that have come out of the You Beauty Advent Calendar – all bar one are brands I’ve never tried (which was the deciding factor in my purchase) and several are above average sizes for what are supposed to be samples. Days 6-10 coming up next week!